Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day 35 - Slacker (blogwise) - Down 14 pounds though!

First off, a big thanks to those who have posted comments. It really motivates me knowing someone is actually paying attention, if only passingly!

So I haven't been posting regularly his week, but have been staying on a good diet.

I believe I have had something for breakfast every day, which is unusual for me, unless it had been a muffin or danish at the doctor's lounge. Now it is a BIG handful of nuts if I am rushed, 1-2 pieces of fresh fruit (usually bananas), maybe a cup of yogurt,  and coffee with lots of skim milk. I have had leftover pizza (1 slice), a cheese sandwich, big bowls of granola as well, which all start the day off better than sugar.

Lunches have been almost exclusively frozen dinners at work, which are usually 3-400 cal, with veggies and other good stuff. I have been getting the posher, organic ones on sale which I like to think are a bit healthier. Then again, just about anything is better than the burger and fries that had been my mainstay.
If I happen to be over at the hospital, I get a big veggie plate from the cafeteria, usually 4-5 servings, which is VERY filling and low cal.

Dinners have been smaller servings of the same stuff I have always eaten, which could be almost anything, since I love to cook. I basically fill my plate once, and only allow myself veggies if I want seconds.

One big thing I have found is that TV is a trigger to snack. 100% of the time, I feel the urge within minutes of turning on the tube. If I am busy doing other stuff, even killing time on the web, I rarely get the munchies. I am not planning to give up my shows, but I know now I need to be on guard when I plop my less & less fat butt down on the recliner.
I have even started using some 20lb dumbells for a little upper body workout when watching TV, to make it a good thing.

Today at the office I weighed 226 (!), which represents about 12-14 pounds of real weight loss. Now this I know is more than I recommend to my patients, but I was really pigging out there before, and it takes a pile of calories to maintain that sort of weight. I calculate that at my ideal body weight of 160-180, I should be consuming about 1900-2000 cal/day, so that is my target amount to eat, ballpark.  My goal is to teach myself what a normal amount of calories is for my height and frame, and get used to eating that, rather than do the crash diet thing, and eat an amount that is not sustainable.
I am paying attention to the amount of calories only as a teaching exercise for myself,  but have zero plans to keep tabs on it down the road, once good habits become ingrained.

Honestly, I did not think I could do it due to truly meager willpower when it comes to food, and often joked that the only way I was getting back in my old clothes was going to be a good case of cholera or similar wasting illness. Thankfully that does not seem to be the case. 
My size 40 pants were getting snug a month ago, and now I can button up some old 38's without holding my breath. Down to 1 chin again, which I seem to remember is the normal number!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe try unsalted, un-buttered popcorn when in front of the TV, since it's mostly a freebie. That might help with the munchie fixation. Also maybe gum or sugar free lollipops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think for me the TV munchies are best dealt with by training myself not to eat during that time. Right know I am like one of Pavlov's dogs, where I begin to salivate as soon as the tube lights up (still use tubes instead of LCDs or plasma at the house).

    Yes it is true that muscle burns more than fat, or the more lean body mass you have, the more calories consumed. No doubt that exercise is key and I am still struggling with working that into my day. I am so out of shape right now that the idea of being sore on top of sleep deprived is a little daunting.
    It is however easier to move as the weight comes off, so that makes all those activities inherently easier, and I also know that it will take exercise to move me to the next level.

    Appreciate the comments.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on anything you read here, especially if you have something to add, or correct some misinformation.