Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Julie & Julia + Awesome Chinese in High Point!


So tonite, my wife and I decided to go out for an impromptu date. We have both been looking forward to seeing the new movie Julie & Julia, based on the book which was based on the blog that inspired this blog. Very, very enjoyable, especially Meryl Streep's portrayal of Julia Child, one of my heroes.

Before that though, we went to a new Chinese restaurant in High Point, which was recommended to me by one of my Asian patients as being the only authentic one in the area. This was Full Kee Restaurant off Eastchester, near Wendover. Absolutely perfect. I have eaten truly good, authentic Chinese food only a few times, and then in large northeast cities. This was equal to any of them.

We asked the owner George Yu to cook whatever he like for us, and he promised to please. We started out with Szechuan Eggplant, which was garlicky and rich, yet delicate and not at all spicy for my wife, who has a more delicate tongue than I do. Amazing.
This was followed by Ful Kee Shrimp, which was shrimp prepared 2 ways, in both a cream and sweet & sour sauce with brocolli. The cream shrimp were slightly crispy, but not battered, and lightly sauced and were as good as any shrimp I have EVER eaten., and I have had some shrimp!
Finally we were served Steamed Sea Bass, which was served with scallions and ginger, and was perfectly prepared. Could not have been better in my opinion.
All the dishes were light, and bore absolutely no resemblance to what has become the standard chinese fare in the US. No heavy, sweet generic brown sauce with limp veggies and a dollop of MSG. This is the real deal, according to those who know better than I, and we will certainly be back very soon. Mind you, this fine dining comes at a slight premium, but the service and atmosphere was spot on, and we felt it was a relative bargain.

One  aspect of the meal that was notable in terms of my diet, was the portion size. We shared 3 dishes and which was just the right amount of food for a special meal. Definitely not the typical huge platters of marginal quality stuff that we usually find at American Chinese restaurants. @ dishes shared would have been enough for a fairly low-cal dinner, but we were splurging. If we all ate out like this, portion-wise, obesity would be far less of a problem, I feel.

As for the rest my day, the morning grub consisted of a light breakfast (fruit/coffee) and lunch (350cal frozen dinner) , so overall a great food day.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh...that sounds tasty. We're always on the look-out for authentic Asian style food. There's not a lot in the area that we've found, but there is a good Thai place there in High Point. We'll have to try this place soon.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on anything you read here, especially if you have something to add, or correct some misinformation.