Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Exercise & appetite

Recent studies have shown that very vigorous exercise may actually interfere with weight loss due to disinhibiting hunger control, i.e., when you work out hard and burn off stored sugar from the liver, your resulting hunger may cause you to consume more calories than burned. Net effect - no weight loss, and even minor weight gain.
I have heard this complaint over and over again from patients who have joined a gym, and have not lost the weight they hoped.
I am therefore trying to keep my workouts light for starters, with heart rates maxing in the low 140s, which my trainer apparently agrees with. Right now its 3 times a week at the gym, but plan on 5-6 when the initial soreness improves.

Yesterday was a good meal day with calories not exceeding my goal, though it took some discipline between 8 and midnight, my danger zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on anything you read here, especially if you have something to add, or correct some misinformation.