Monday, January 24, 2011

Getting back on the wagon

So work and life have gotten in the way of my own health in the past year, which is the same story I have heard from hundreds of patients.
My goal however is to join my family which have all taken up speed skating, a sport which I once enjoyed but now find painful due to my weight and lack of fitness.

To kick things off, I have enlisted a trainer at our hospital fitness center, with 2 meetings a week to make sure that I show up. We are starting slowly to avoid injury, but it feels great to be in a gym again.

Secondly, I am trying to get group support from my Facebook friends on my Henry Dorn MD page, which like Weight Watchers seems to be an effective way of staying on track.

I am also considering a wager too in order to keep me focused. Amber Kelly, a great local counsellor & friend, suggested that I write a check to an organization which I dislike, which will be cashed if I fail to meet my goal. Like McDonalds.

Anyway, I need to watch the calories and bump up the fitness.

At least being on the skates makes me PAINFULLY aware of where I am and where I need to be.

Goal is one pound per week until July 1 for starters. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting back into the swing of things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried myfitnesspal.com? it's a great site to track calories and exercise and free too.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on anything you read here, especially if you have something to add, or correct some misinformation.