Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 2 Tuna Rice Bowl - (Tekka-don)


After work I ran by the grocery to see what was fresh on special.  I always hit the meat section first, then the produce section, the fill in the gaps.
As it turned out, sashimi grade tuna was on sale for $4.99/pound. Normally I would by a heap of this and freeze most of it, but I am trying smaller portions all around, so I selected a single, 1/2 pound piece. 
In produce, broccoli crowns were 1/2 off and I picked up a bunch of spring onions. Over in frozen, some of the organic dinners I mentioned earlier were 1/2 off, and I grabbed a dozen for lunches.
Tekka-don
I first ate this in Japan while visiting a friend in Nagoya, at a "family restaurant" called Skylark, which is like a slightly upscale Dennys. I saw someone else order it and our host located it on the menu. This ultrasimple dish is totally Japanese, but requires little technique or knowledge.
Start with Japanese style rice, in this case a California grown version recommended to me by the local Asian market. 10 minutes start to finish in an automatic rice cooker (a cheap and indispensable kitchen accessory for anyone who eats rice at least once a week). The rice is seasoned lightly after cooking with a few tablespoons of rice vinegar, a sprinkling of sugar and a dash of salt, then fluffed gently.
While the rice was cooking, I simply dice the raw tuna finely, in this case 4 oz per serving, which I then seasoned with a splash of soy sauce. I knew I had leftover nori (sushi wrap seaweed) which I cut into fine slices (roll the sheet first, then slice - much easier).  1 finely sliced scallion completes the dish.
When the rice cooled slightly , it was placed in a bowl, and topped with the diced tuna, scallion and nori. Nothing could be simpler. I beefed up the dish this time by adding a cup of steamed broccoli, which I chopped and added to the bowl. 
Not sure how many calories, but very low fat, somewhat exotic, extremely satisfying and undoubtedly healthy eats.
Now to make it to bedtime without snacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on anything you read here, especially if you have something to add, or correct some misinformation.