Monday, June 29, 2009

A Plug for Frozen Dinners / Shopping Tips

A few months ago I realized that in the rush to cram in lunch between morning and afternoon clinic, that I was eating a lot of junk food - burgers from across the street etc.

So one day as I was grocery shopping I notice a lot of promotional specials on frozen meals, especially the more expensive organic ones. These were often 2 for one deals that would run for a week or so, before the prices jumped up. Since we have a freezer at the office, I bought a big pile of these , and have been popping them into the microwave for a quick, healthier lunch.

$2.50, 460 cal organic burrito bargain
For example, today I had an organic veggie burrito grande with chile verde sauce. At first glance it looked like 230 calories, but I the read that serving size was 1/2 burrito. Nonetheless, 460 cal beats a burger and fries any day, and the ingredient list "looks" better. These were normally over $5 each, but at 2 for one, a bargain lunch.

My recommendation would be to check the paper or web for specials at your local groceries, and it seems that the better ones often have the better deals on good products to get you in the door. The little Healthy Choice, Marie Calenders, Weight Watchers meals are often marked down, and are better than fast food choices 9/10, but not always!

I will note for completeness that I did well with a bowl of bran cereal and low fat milk for breakfast, so that's 2 days in a row!

Eat well, be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on anything you read here, especially if you have something to add, or correct some misinformation.