Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Brief Note on Chopping Bell Peppers


Chef-types will undoubtedly laugh at this but I am unashamed to admit that for years I made the task of cleaning bell peppers much harder than necessary. I cored out the pepper like an apple, washed out the seeds, then halfed the pepper before slicing, taking care not to let the knife slip on the steep curve of the edge of the pepper. 
The trick it seems is to simply cut the meat off the core in 4 or 5 pieces as pictured above. These nice flat chunks can then easily be sliced into strips, and then rotated 90 degrees and diced. This easily saves a minute per pepper. 
Remember though, a sharp knife slips less and is therefore safer when used properly.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, now I feel really stupid. I used to do it your way too. This makes much more sense!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on anything you read here, especially if you have something to add, or correct some misinformation.