Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Day 3 - Mexican omelet in 4 minutes

So I went to bed thinking about breakfast, probably because I was a little hungry. In the fridge were several red bell peppers which I buy lots of when on sale, and a carton of truly free range eggs given to me by one of my patients. This called out mexican omelet to me.

A word about free range eggs
I had been a bit of an egg skeptic in the past, not really appreciating the difference between the various grocery store varieties. (I will note that I was not a big egg eater until fairly recently, after some strange childhood imprinting - probably overcooked Easter eggs.) It was a leap of faith buying organic or Omega 3 enhanced eggs which tasted and performed the same to me. A few months ago an Amish patient came to me and as a gift, brought 2 dozen freshly collected eggs from their farm. (Likely her midwife told her I liked to cook!) These I was told were the real deal - eggs from free range chickens which had been allowed to eat bugs and run around outdoors and do whatever else rogue chickens do. 
That night, I decided to cook a big omelet for the family. When I cracked these open I was startled by the dayglo yellow yolks, which I learned comes from the varied diet.
These cooked up extra fluffy, but the real revelation came on the fork. These tasted rich and custardy unlike any eggs I had tasted before. 
Research shows that hens raised in this fashion produce eggs which are much healthier for us and the fat and cholesterol they contain has far less impact on heart health than the "factory" produced ones. Try these ASAP if you know or can find a local farmer. I can't yet attest to the taste of the occasional free range ones found in the grocery.

4 minutes start to finish.
With my master plan in mind, I tossed a heavy nonstick pan on medium heat to warm up.
I sliced a quarter off a red bell pepper and diced it, followed by 1/2 of a small onion, also diced.
These were tossed into the pan with a little olive oil.
2 eggs were beat lightly with a pinch of salt and poured into the pan. Finally a tbs of grated cheddar cheese and a sprinkle of chili powder completed the dish. Much better and faster than anything I could have grabbed on the way to work, and I am now 3 for 3 breakfasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on anything you read here, especially if you have something to add, or correct some misinformation.