Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Day 3 -Lunch - Not very Fast Food


My wife called and asked whether I would pick up a Subway sandwich for her for lunch, and so at noon I headed over. It took almost 20 minutes to get 2 sandwiches, after standing in line with the lunch crowd. I thought about how that compared with my cooked from scratch breakfast which took 4 minutes. Not exactly "fast food".

Praise for the Veggie Max/Veggy Patty sandwich
After noticing how tired a high fat/carb lunch made me feel, I began looking for options that didn't make me want a siesta.
Subway has a great veggie patty that locally is called the Veggie Max. I order it on whole wheat, toasted with cheese and a pile of toppings (spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives & banana peppers today) without any dressing (lots of fat/calories) . The veggie patty is moist enough that with the cheese, no mayo or other is needed. Remember though that mustard is always very low cal.
The 6 inch sub has around 450 calories, fairly low fat and as satisfying as anything else on the menu , and actually tastes great. (It looks far better in person than the rather poor snapshot I made.) I will not eat any kind of "diet" food that doesn't taste wonderful. Life's too short. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on anything you read here, especially if you have something to add, or correct some misinformation.