Tuesday, July 14, 2009

day 17 - No Waste = Mo' Waist

 Having grown of as the child of someone who grew up during the Depression, I was often admonished about not wasting food (or anything else for that matter). I really took this to heart and have been in the habit of cleaning off the kids plates, even when its bad fast food, telling myself not to let food go to waste. No waste = More waist, for me at least.
After dinner tonight I had a little revelation. I had cooked more pasta than I intended, thinking my son might be hungry, which he was not. We therefore had at least 1 large serving left after dinner. 
My instinct has been to save it for a late night snack, or eat it while doing the dishes, but tonight I decided to just discard it and cook a lot less next time to prevent having leftovers. I did however eat the rest of the steamed broccoli and cauliflower, at least 50 guilt-free calories!
New Rule
So my new rule is to let uneaten food go to waste, especially when it is something like a half-eaten Happy Meal! Or if there is enough for a decent meal later, then wrap it properly and refrigerate it immediately, to reduce the temptation.


Breakfast - Banana, yogurt, coffee
Lunch - Large green salad with vinegarette, bowl veggie soup with 2 slices whole grain bread
Pre dinner snack - 3 small slices of baguette with goat cheese
Dinner - Seared salmon steak (4 oz) with dill, brocolli & cauliflower, egg noodles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on anything you read here, especially if you have something to add, or correct some misinformation.