Saturday, July 4, 2009

Day 7 - 4th of July/Birthday Party/ Goat cheese

Today is a very special day - my wife's birthday. Everyone else always seems celebrating something as well, lots of hoopla and fireworks. Perhaps I should read the paper more often.

Therefore, dinner was a few of her favorites  - ribs, asparagus and the salad are high up on her list. Although barbecued ribs are not exactly low cal/low fat, I did well by only eating a few, instead of my usual rack! Meanwhile, I filled up on the salad & fresh veggies, so all in all, very satisfying while not being diet breaking.
We did discuss that my sense of proportion and serving size is definitely a bit of a problem, as I served her a "little salad" which she could not finish. I need to get out of the Supersize mentality. Will try using smaller plates, which has often been suggested by dieticians. 

We had birthday cake, but not having a very sweet tooth, it was easy for me to pass on, in favor of finshing my wife's salad. 

Rergarding Goat Cheese aka Chevre -  this is an often overlooked cheese here in the US, but has an amazing tangy taste that works especially well with fruit, in my opinion. It has fewer calories, less fat and more protein than similar cheese made from cow's milk, and is more easily digested. 9 times out of 10 it is OK for folks who are lactose intolerant! It also provides more calcium and fewer carbohydrates than cream cheese. 
A bit pricey, but a little goes a long way in terms of flavor, and that is perfect for someone trying to cut down! Quality over quantity...

Finally, on the hospital scale this AM I weighed 236 lbs, which doubtfully represents 4 pounds of weight loss, but is a good sign nonetheless. My goal is 1 pound per week, which only requires a 500cal/day reduction.

Breakfast - coffee with skim milk, bran muffin, banana

Lunch - Sardines (love 'em) with mustard/dill sauce on whole grain rye with spinach, kiwi fruit.

Snack  - banana, yogurt 80 cal

Dinner  - Strawberry, chevre (goats cheese), cashew & spinach salad with balsamic vinegarette, barbecued ribs, corn on cob, steamed baby asparagus.

2 comments:

  1. Well done, Doc! Encouraging and I can't think of anyone else that could do this as well as you.

    Wish I had been there to celebrate your wife's Birthay... dinner too. That's my favorite salad....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have humility too. Birthday is normally spelled with a "t"....

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on anything you read here, especially if you have something to add, or correct some misinformation.